Basic Petroleum Technology (IC06)
Course Level: Basic
Petroleum is the most important energy resource worldwide, not just as fuel, but also because its refined products are vital to a wide range of petrochemical and manufacturing industries. Petroleum is a principal driver of the global economy.
This course in Fundamentals of Petroleum Technology explains the engineering principles which underpin the upstream and downstream sectors. Anyone working in the oil industry will benefit from this program which delivers core foundation knowledge of the technology and processes involved. The course is designed to provide participants with clear understanding of petroleum engineering knowledge and disciplines. It presents global distribution of oil and gas, petroleum geology, oil exploration methods, basic reservoir and production engineering and different oil recovery methods (primary, secondary, and tertiary).
This five-day course aims to demystify the most important aspects of petroleum engineering, starting from exploration, drilling, completion and production and abandonment of these wells. The course also presents reservoir drive mechanisms, classification and identification of five produced fluids plus different methods of evaluating the producing formation. This course provides mixed learning tools including detailed lecture manual, solved examples and explanatory scientific videos.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
After completion of this course, the participants will:
- Know upstream, midstream, and downstream sectors of the oil industry
- Understand geology and structures: types of oil traps: structural, stratigraphic, and combination
- Understand exploration methods: geological, geophysical, and geochemical
- Know organic and inorganic theories for oil origin and requirements for an oil accumulation
- Calculate reservoir rock and fluid properties: porosity, permeability, capillary pressure, wettability, oil formation volume factor, phase diagram, five reservoir fluids?.etc.
- Calculate volumetric gas and oil reserves in place
- Differentiate between six different primary reservoir drive mechanisms
- Understand and apply Material Balance Equation (MBE) technique
- Understand different well testing methods
- Know secondary and enhanced oil recovery (EOR) methods
- Global distribution of oil and gas
- Petroleum geology and exploration methods
- Reservoir rock and fluid properties
- Calculation of oil and gas reserves
- Fluid flow in porous media and reservoir simulation
- Drilling operations and formation evaluation
- Integrated production systems and surface facilities
- Types of oil recovery: primary, secondary, and tertiary
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) methods: chemical, thermal and miscible
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
The Fundamentals of Petroleum Technology will benefit a broad range of professionals in the oil and gas industry across the globe, from administrators, surveyors in the field, operators on offshore rigs to analysts and managers in company headquarters. Engineers in other sectors will be able to enhance their expertise with a solid understanding of this field. Anyone with an interest in exploration and production will gain invaluable insight into how hydrocarbon resources can be realized to the maximum of their potential.