This course provides a comprehensive overview of the principles and practices of advanced drilling engineering, enabling participants to decide which technology is most appropriate for their business.
It is an introduction to advanced drilling topics such as High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT) drilling, modern drilling technologies (i.e. casing drilling, unconventional drilling methods), special well design, drilling problems and their solutions. Advanced drilling techniques such as casing drilling or coiled tubing drilling are also covered as are tools and techniques used in casing or tubing drilling such as surface equipment, bottomhole assemblies (BHA), etc.
Course Structure: 10 modules of 2 hours each, delivered over 5 days
Each day will consist of 2 modules which will be no more than 2 hours in length with multiple breaks.
Course Level: Skill / Advanced
Instructor: Catalin Teodoriu
Designed for you, if you are...
- A drilling, production or operations engineer, field supervisor, manager or technical support personnel with a good understanding of the principles of drilling engineering
How we build your confidence
- The course is constructed as a live instructor-led training with case studies, videos, and exercises presented during class.
- Exercises will be provided in a dynamic format using case studies and real data. Some presentations will include real time videos of experimental setups which are used to better understand the topic.
The benefits from attending
By the end of the course you will feel confident in your understanding of:
- Drill string mechanics: loads, cause of failure, design concepts
- Mechanised drilling operations: make-up of tubular, mechanised drilling rigs
- Drilling problems: stuck pipe situations, fishing operations
- Advanced drilling technologies - casing drilling, HPHT, coiled tubing drilling
- Proper selection of drilling technology for shale gas, geothermal drilling, etc.
- Non-conventional drilling methods and equipment including environmental aspects of drilling activities
- Drilling through gas hydrates
- Drilling engineering - a short review
- Drilling methods and drilling technologies
- Drillstring mechanics
- Mechanised drilling operations
- Drilling problems and their solutions in modern drilling operations
- Coiled tubing drilling technology
- Casing drilling technology and casing fatigue
- Expandable tubular and their applications
- Drilling HPHT wells
- Drilling fluids for HPHT environment
- Wellbore hydraulics
- Drill bit optimisation and selection
- Non-conventional drilling methods
- High performance drilling concepts
- Drilling through gas hydrates
- Drilling Simulators an overview
- Aspects wellbore construction and wellbore integrity
- Drilling vibrations: a practical approach
- Low frequency and high frequency drilling vibrations
- Use of machine learning to understand drilling vibrations
- Stick slip detection and mitigations
Customer Feedback"Useful knowledge about drilling engineering was presented in this course. Also some new technologies and new and useful concepts such as DWC, MSE etc. were introduced." - Engineer at Chengdu Best Diamond Bit Co.