This course builds a firm foundation in the principles and practices of directional drilling, calculations and planning for directional and horizontal wells, with focus on the geosteering technology and its implications. Specific problems associated with directional / horizontal drilling such as torque, drag, hole cleaning, logging and drill string component design and data transmission are included.
Course Level: Foundation
Duration: 5 days
Instructor: Catalin Teodoriu
Designed for you, if you are...
- A drilling or operations engineer, field supervisor, toolpusher, manager or technical support person
- The course will also be beneficial for a geoscientist with field experience, especially if you have been exposed to drilling operations
How we build your confidenceYou will receive instructions on geosteering definition, geosteering principles and - most important - the world of geosteering tools. Additionally, the course covers planning and evaluation of deviated and horizontal wells, and you will learn how to perform simple calculations associated with dogleg severity.
The basic applications and techniques of geosteering are also covered in the course. You will receive detailed information about the successful geosteering philosophy and associated well placement problems. The basics of LWD, MWD technologies will be also presented and linked to the well placement aspects, so that the synergy between geology and directional drilling technology is made apparent.
Course related videos will be presented and you will perform analyses of the presented solutions.
This course will expose you to the largest comparison of MWD, LWD and geosteering tools in a bias free presentation. An exercise is also designed to allow the participants to perform their own decision analysis about what tool and technology will fit a given situation.
The benefits from attending
By the end of the course you will feel confident in your understanding of:
- Interpreting dogleg severity and the problems associated with dogleg severity
- Planning horizontal wells based on the objectives of the well
- Survey methods and techniques in view of well placement
- Directionally drilling with steerable motors and rotary steerable systems
- The principle of various rotary steerable systems and their selection free of service bias
- How to predict the wellbore path based on historical data and determine the requirements to hit the target
In addition, you will have insights into a very detailed and complex review of the latest publications focused on geosteering.
- Applications for directional drilling
- Directional profiles, well placement definitions
- Geosteering: definitions, historical development, applications
- Rotary steerable systems: definition and applications
- Dogleg severity calculations and problems associated with doglegs
- Horizontal drilling methods and applications
- Logging high angle wells
- LWD: tools, techniques, comparison of various tools
- MWD: tools, techniques, comparison of various tools
- Data transmission in drilling operations
- Real time data transmissions systems
- Rotary steerable systems: components, working principle
- Classification of RSS and their applications
- How RSS contribute to well placement
- Well placement techniques
- Limitations and challenges to well placement techniques
- Review of recent geosteering advancement techniques