This course covers the design, operation and troubleshooting of ESP systems including a review of the key factors contributing to runlife optimisation. You will gain an appreciation of the key concepts involved in the application of ESP systems for both oil and water supply wells and a practical understanding of their operation and optimisation. Case histories and well modelling software (Prosper) will be used to illustrate design and troubleshooting applications.
Course Level: Foundation / Skill
Duration: 4 days
Instructor: Alastair Baillie
Designed for you, if you are...
- Petroleum engineering or field staff involved in the selection, modelling, design, operation or troubleshooting of Electrical Submersible Pump (ESP) systems
How we build your confidenceThis course ensures that fundamental concepts of ESP systems are well explained and clearly understood before progressing to more advanced topics such as design and troubleshooting. This technique means that participants have a solid foundation to build a deep understanding of ESP systems and the confidence to apply the principles learned with commercial software (Prosper).
The benefits from attending
The objectives of the course will be to enable participants to:
- Become familiar with ESP methods, concepts of operation and equipment
- Perform ESP design procedures for new or existing wells using Prosper
- Understand the key factors affecting ESP runlife in design, installation and operations
- Implement robust ESP control systems and the correct alarm and trip settings
- Diagnose and troubleshoot ESP systems to optimise runlife using Prosper
- Recap of well and reservoir performance (fluid properties, outflow and inflow performance)
- Use of pressure gradient plots for ESP design and diagnosis
- Review of ESP systems equipment, components and physics of operation
- Design, diagnosis and practical troubleshooting techniques for start-up and operation
- Power supply quality and issues with variable frequency drives
- Workshop sessions and tutorials covering the design and diagnosis of ESP systems with Prosper
Each day will include practical workshop sessions illustrating the application of theory to ESP well models. Participants are encouraged to bring field data and examples to interpret and analyse.In-House Presentation / Workshop:
During the 4-day session the instructor would aim to use client’s well data throughout and participants should be able to build, validate and diagnose their own wells. Each day will include practical workshop exercises using commercial software (Prosper from Petroleum Experts).
The course is designed to be highly interactive and the instructor is always open to answering questions as they arise. There will also be an opportunity for the participants to spend some time (1/2 day) looking at other lift methods used in their field (e.g. gas lift wells).
Customer Feedback"I liked the practical application of the course content, the interaction between participants and instructor, and the course content." - Electrical Maintenance Foreman at ADCO